The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 created a $36 Billion incentive program to accelerate the adoption of electronic health records (EHRs) in the United States. Under this program (administered by the Office of the National Coordinator, ONC) rebates are given to healthcare organizations that purchase and demonstrate meaningful use (MU) of certified EHRs.
In order to demonstrate meaningful use, organizations must show MU auditors that they are meeting specific criteria. The criteria are separated into levels, two of which are now required for continued funding – commonly referred to MU1 and MU2. PatientPrompt can help in 3 key areas of your MU attestation efforts.
There is a requirement in both MU1 and MU2 for patients to receive reminders:
• Stage 1 – More than 20% of all patients 65 years or older or 5 years or younger are sent an appropriate reminder.
• Stage 2 – More than 10% of all unique patients who have had 2 or more office visits within the 24 months before the beginning of the Reporting Period were sent a reminder, per patient preference when available.
With PatientPrompt’s direct, real-time synchronization with your EHR, patients will be reminded of appointments that have already been scheduled as well as for appointments that they should make. These reminders are delivered by our system according to the patient’s preferred contact method that is specified in your EHR. All the results of these reminders are recorded within your certified EHR for attestation.
One of the most talked about MU requirements is the use of EHR portals by patients to view, download and transmit their health information:
• Stage 1 – At least 10% of all unique patients are provided electronic access to their health information within 4 business days of being updated in the certified EHR.
• Stage 2 – More than 50% of unique patients seen by the EP during the Reporting Period are provided online access to their health information, with the ability to view, download and transmit to a 3rd party, within 4 business days after the information is available to the EP.
• Stage 3 – More than 5% of all unique patients seen by the EP during the Reporting Period (or their authorized representatives) view, download, or transmit to a 3rd party their health information.
With PatientPrompt’s flexible message capability you can craft notifications to patients to encourage them to register for access to your portal or let them know that there is new information for them on the portal – like a lab result. PatientPrompt can even bridge back to our own team of live operators that can answer questions about your portal or guide the patient through the registration process.
As healthcare moves from episodic care towards a more holistic approach to health, educating patients on their specific condition is critically important. This is one of the reasons patient education is a part of both MU1 and MU2:
• Stage 1 – More than 10% of all unique patients seen are provided patient-specific education resources.
• Stage 2 – Patient-specific education resources identified by Certified EHR Technology are provided to patients for more than 10% of all unique patients with office visits seen by the EP during the Reporting Period.
With PatientPrompt you will be able to deliver links to educational materials (web pages, videos or downloadable content) to patients via email, voice and text. Through our collaboration with Healthwise you have access to a repository of professionally developed materials and can even track when patients have actually viewed them.
This EHR Module is 2014 Edition compliant and has been certified by an ONC-ACB in accordance with the applicable certification criteria adopted by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Healthand Human Services. This certification does not represent an endorsement by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Drummond Group is accredited by ANSI and approved by ONC for the ONC HIT Certification Program to certify: Complete EHR, EHR Module (all), and Certification of other types of HIT for which the Secretary has adopted certification criteria under Subpart C of 45 CFR.
PatientPrompt V14.0, produced by Prompt Alert Inc, was certified on May 14 2015 and holdsCertificate Number 05142015-1199-3. PatientPrompt V14.0 was certified for Patient List Creation(170.314.a.14), Secure Messaging (170.314.e.3), Automated Measure Calculation (170.314.g.2),Authentication & Access Control (170.314.d1), Auditable Events & Tamper Resistance (170.314.d2),Audit Reports (170.314.d3), Automatic Log-Off (170.314.d5), End-user Device Encryption(170.314.d7), Integrity (170.314.d8) and Quality Management System (170.314.g4). This certifiedproduct-version may require ongoing monthly costs to support the service. Support for integration ofthis certified product-version with other ONC certified systems may require additional one-time costs.
This certified product-version fully supports Patient List Creation (170.314.a.14) but compliance with this criteria may restrict the degree to which patient messages can be customized.